Monday, January 07, 2008

Neighbors Project Blog

Remember that website that's linked back to a couple of my blog entries? Well the editor "interviewed" me on something that I feel really strongly about, public education. The feature on my "project" will publish this week some time. Pretty cool!

Living in Houston, and being an inner city dweller at that, can be challenging for some parents. Some may opt for a private school education for their kids. I am a firm believer in the Magnet program within HISD and especially the Vanguard program.

I already have to start working on my little one. Just this morning I had to get off at my daughter's school to drop off her after school program payment. (they have extended day) When we were walking up to the school I started telling my son that he too can go to the same school if he works with me on his ABCs and numbers. I told him that that's why it's so important for him to learn the phonics song with me. He was listening to what I said too. I just have to keep reminding him, without too much pressure.

I have a year to prepare him for the Vanguard test. He'll have to take it next year for Kinder in the Fall '09. If he doesn't make it we'll have to have a back up plan at a Magnet school nearby.

2 comments:

Moose said...

I think it's great that you believe in the phonics method and I agree that the magnet programs are good. Especially when most of us can not afford private education.

Both of my boys went to AISD magnet schooling.

You truly are a SUPER mom.

As I have said before, you were the best inspiration for me. I am glad to have had you as a childhood friend.

ShoeGirl Corner said...

YOU ARE SUCH A SWEETHEART!! (and a freak too! LOL) Seriously, you made my day. I try with my kids, as well as I can, given the time.

You know, my girlfriend had her kids in AISD and she LOVED their magnet program. My sister is subbing in AISD right now too and she can not say enough good things about it.