Monday, June 09, 2008

"School is YUCK!" or so my son thinks

My daughter has been so patient trying to encourage my son to go to school. He is not budging. Not even the idea that the two daughters of a good friend of ours go there changes his mind.

Yesterday we were in the area so I told my husband we should drive by his new school to encourage him to go to school.

My daughter, age 7 (in a very excited voice) "You're going to school this year!"
My son, age 4 (in a flat tone) "THAT is not exciting!"

So later that evening we did drive by his school and we showed him the playgrounds, both the Pre-K (that will be his) and the older one.

"I don't want to go to school! School is YUCK!" he yelled.

I didn't want to tell him he was partly right. I don't think that would have been the motherly thing to do.

My daughter on the other hand will ask me, all interested, how many years did I go to school. I do the math with her. Kinder plus 12 years = 13 years. Plus 4 years of college and it took me 4 years to get my Master's. Twenty-One years of school! She is in awe. She thinks that's super cool!

My son on the other hand, if he could reason that out, would probably have a heart attack.

No comments: