Friday, May 13, 2005

Me and Oprah

A couple of months ago one of my good friends had a dream about me and Oprah. He said Oprah was at his house and she and I were talking about 'all the stories' I had written and Oprah was telling me that she was going to have me on her show so that I could talk about them!!!

I don’t believe in signs, or anything like that, but I have a really good feeling about me and Oprah. I believe that I will be the first Latina writer on her show. I absolutely LOVE Oprah and I believe everything that she says about believing in yourself and following your dreams. I’m a sap like that!

Is that totally arrogant of me? No, I don’t think so. I’ve been accused of not tooting my own horn enough. I always toot the horn for others, but not for myself.

I’m great at PR and should have studied that in school. I could have opened my own PR agency by now. I do PR for everyone I know, but not for myself.

Tuesday night my friend Angie returned the favor so maybe there’s some truth to “what goes around comes around.” She had the opportunity to talk to Isabel Allende on the Nuestra Palabra Radio Show (KPFT, 90.1 Tuesday nights at 7:30 p.m.) and she told Isabel Allende about ME! Can you all believe that?? She told Isabel how she is such an inspiration to women, especially women writers like me. She told her that I’m working on my first novel. So now I have to finish this novel! Angie told Isabel Allende that I am.

How do writers find the time to write? More importantly, how can I find the time to write?? Since I added exercise to my schedule the writing has taken the back burner. But I have to walk for my health!

I was on a website with a bunch of writers recently and they all said they don’t sleep, especially if they are mothers. They all write late at night or really early in the morning when everyone is asleep. I’ve been trying to do the morning thing but I am so not a morning person.

Good news though! I may be published on a cultural website soon. http://www.houstonculture.org/. They may publish a short story of mine based on a story my father told me about himself when he was a little boy. I read it at Nuestra Palabra a couple of years ago.

Check out this website. They will be opening a Visitor’s Center soon in the Rice Village. Anyway, be checking out the site for something by me.

Have a great weekend or week, depending on when you read this.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How to find the time - this is a touchy subject, especially with the husband. I know from my own experiences that hubands tend to think once everyone is at home after work, the WIFE takes over everything up until bedtime. That is totally wrong, and a hard preconception to break. If the husband has his "night out", then so should the wife. Talking about this is the key!