Friday, May 27, 2005

Life is Strange

The most extraordinary thing happened today. My new job was announced as a promotion and my new title is National Sales Manager of La Voz and La Vibra. What is going on?? It’s not that I don’t think I deserve this, it’s just that I was originally told that the move was a lateral move and that I would remain an account executive. That’s why it came as such a big surprise today when this e-mail went out to the whole ad division announcing my move as a promotion.

I keep thinking of that Alanis Morisette quote I’ve been using on my e-mail signature.

"the moment I let go of it was the moment I got more than I could handle
the moment I jumped off of itwas the moment I touched down."

I use this quote because I feel like I need to just let go of my fears and take the leap to write. As hard as I work to want to become a writer these other things keep happening to me all the time. Good things, but at the same time I will have to work on my writing all the harder so I don’t get sidetracked.

Life is so strange. And I said it myself just a few entries ago when I said,
“Life is a series of phases and the exciting part about it is that we don’t know where we will find ourselves next. We should always expect the unexpected. That’s fine as long as we don’t lose ourselves along the way.”

How true this is.

On another great note to help keep me on track. My short story, “The Grapefruit” was published. http://www.houstonculture.org/hispanic/grapefruit.html The only thing is that I accidentally sent them a version without the tilde (~) over the word Doña. A corrected version will be posted soon.

Meanwhile, read the story and enjoy. This is my first published short story!! Thank you to Mark Lacy for his interest in my writing and for staying on top of me to submit. And thank you to the Houston Institute for Culture. The Visitor Center is opening June 10 in the Rice Village on Morningside. Go by and check it out.

Two things to celebrate this weekend. My promotion and the publication of my story.

No comments: