Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Mom of the Year Award

Yesterday was "Magenta's" first day of school. She was so excited to start and I was so excited to actually drop her off on time.

Later that day around 5:40 I get a call from one of my ad agencies. He needs a quote and all this information. He also needs for me to overnight him a media kit. I stay on the phone with him until 6 p.m. and then I look for my assistant only to find out she's gone for the night. I don't have access to our UPS account so that I can overnight stuff myself (note to self, learn procedure) so I'm stressing out a little. This is a pretty big ad schedule we're talking about.

My husband calls and listens to my woes then asked in a pretty calm voice, "So who's picking up the kids?"

"I am!" I snap back, on the defensive.

"Magenta too? You do realize it's 6 p.m."

At that I freak out, "OH NO!" All this time I'm picturing the kids at the sitter's. I completely forgot that Magenta started school and that I have to pick her up at 6 p.m.

In a panic I call my sister with the other hand. Thank goodness she answers and she's on her way to pick her up. Thank goodness my sister lives around the corner from school too. I think I've said that plenty of times.

Rey laughs, "Boy! You're winning the mother-of-the-year award!"

I'm not amused, but I am. I feel bad, but it's hilarious at the same time. The school calls and leaves a message in the meanwhile. I call them back and I apologize profusely. The man is very understanding and says it's natural on the first day of school. When I pick up Magenta from my sister's house I ask her how many kids were forgotten. She says she was the only one. Yeah, "everyone forgets."

She's very forgiving and doesn't even seem to care. She's more excited about the new addition to my sister and brother-in-law's menagerie. A new puppy named Bella Blue who sits tall on my brother-in-law's lap and growls in her throat at Magenta then barks. Magenta cracks up, finding her hilarious. I kiss her. She still loves me. I'm not such a bad mom after all. If I hadn't forgotten her she wouldn't have had a chance to meet Bella Blue that day. Motherhood and all it's challenges!

No comments: