Wednesday, December 20, 2006

One Last Post for the Night

I am so excited. My good friend is visiting from Spain and I haven't seen her in a couple of years. She's from Houston but she married a guy from Spain and moved there. She's lived there six years and she has two little girls. The last time I was in Europe was for their wedding. It will be SEVEN years this Spring! I can't believe that many years have gone by. Anyhow, they are here for 2 weeks so we are going to try and spend some time together next week so our kids can play. We're actually going on a double date with the parents this Friday night. We're going to go out and have drinks.

I was just telling my sister it's been seven years since I've been to my mom's home town in Mexico. I would like to go back, especially since part of my book is set in El Cercado, Nuevo Leon, the town where my family lives. It would be good research.

I don't travel the same way any more since I had children. That's just a fact of life. It's one of the things you learn to accept when you decide to become a parent. I love this quote from Lisa Kogan in O Magazine, "I will be a mother every day for the rest of my natural life."

We want to go on another cruise but we can't until the baby is completely potty trained, which is when he's at least 4. That's the age he has to be to stay in the Kid's club.

Europe is out of the question until they are older too. There's no way we can fly for 8 hours across the ocean with a toddler. We're waiting til he's at least 7 and my daughter will be 10. I can't wait to show her Paris! She will love it!

I'm not going to count the years and wish that they were older because I know that inevitably they will be before I know it. And seven more years will have passed and they will be 9 and 12 and I will be looking back and saying, "Where did the years go?" They will be old enough to travel with me in due time and hopefully by then I'll be in a position where I will be able to afford the 4 tickets to Europe without having to rely on buddy passes from my sister like I have so far! All in due time!

1 comment:

Adam Luis said...

Wow, ask your friend is she's seen Volver and if it's any good. I really wanted to see that today, but my Chinese friends opted for Curse of the Golden Flower, a martial arts drama. It was good, but something tells me I would have liked Pedro's movie more.