Saturday, April 15, 2006

Long Week Over

It was a crazy long week. Rey went back to work on Tuesday and worked 12-14 hour days all week. He was exhausted. Then Wednesday we had our Memorial celebration of the anniversary of Jesus' death. Thursday we had meeting again and Rey gave a talk. Here we are and it's Friday. It seems like it was just the other day that we were spending our last night at the Hyatt in LA and we were going to Disneyland on Saturday.

Work was crazy hectic all week for me too. There were about 3 days that I either didn't take lunch 'til after 2 or I didn't get to eat at all. I still ended the week needing one more ad to make my goal for the month. Our month or period doesn't run exactly with the calendar month so my month is pretty much over. Depressing...

Whenever I write about work now I think about people I've read about who were fired for blogging about work. Most recently I read about Nadine Haobsh in the April issue of Cosmo. I had never heard the whole story but I think I remember hearing something about it because it was a big deal in the publishing industry. Visit her website for some of the story http://nadinehaobsh.com/ or if you have Cosmo.

Anyway, when I read stories like this one it makes me paranoid about writing about anything that we're doing at work, especially since I work for a newspaper. It's really frustrating too. Sometimes I think I should have blogged under a pseudonym but then that defeats the whole point of promoting myself as a writer. So the safest thing is not to write about anything specific about work. I can't really say what I think about what people say or do. I guess I'll just have to wait until I'm an independent writer like Alisa Valdes Rodriguez to say what I really think.

Which reminds me. All of you Alisa Valdes Rodriguez fans out there. If you are in or near Houston please come out to hear her read from her new book, "Make Him Look Good" at the Edward James Olmos Latino Book & Family Festival. It's going to be at the Houston Community College and she will be reading both Saturday & Sunday, May 6 & 7, from 5-6 p.m. I'm in charge of promoting her reading here locally so I need all the support I can get. Spread the word for me if you can. Who knows, maybe someone from Houston will read it on your blog.

It's really really late and I need to get to bed. I'm up because my in-laws were over and we were playing this fun dice game they showed us and we were having drinks. It's always fun but I stay up way too late.

No comments: