Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Some Poems For You

I've been pretty sick and so far an emergency room doctor and my primary doctor can't figure out what's wrong with me. I'm not dying but I have a nagging pain on one side. Of course I've thought the worse with my morbid self. But it's also made me kind of melancholy and thoughtful. Here are some poems I wrote this morning while in line at Starbucks and a little later in the car when I got home. Very rough first draft so excuse the awkwardness.

My Boy Sleeps

He sleeps
That boy of mine
His little mouth open
In the shape of an "o"
As if he fell asleep surprised
His lids heavy, over his big eyes
His cheeks flushed
From the fever he's fighting
His head cocked to one side
The side of his forehead resting
Against the car seat
And I look at him
In my rearview mirror
Enjoying this moment
When I can admire his beauty
Quiet and peaceful for once
He sleeps
This boy of mine

10/24/06 By Loida

We Watch Them Build

Every day
My daughter and I watch
The Starbucks go up
First the dirt lot with a sign
(And we squealed in delight)
Then the pipes
Then the cement
Next the steel frame
The roof
Now the walls
Every day
We drive by
Just to see what's up now
Every day closer to the day
When we can stop by on the way home
A grande sugar free vanilla latte for me
Chocolate milk in a box for her and baby brother.

10/24/06 By Loida

2 comments:

Coco said...

Your poems are BEAUTIFUL!

I hope you're feeling better...

Un fuerte y caluroso abrazo.

Cuidate!

Bendiciones.

~^^~L*C~^^~ said...

i hope you're feeling better! things have been so busy crazy in my life that I haven't been able to stop by. the poems are beautiful, incredibly descriptive and visual. I enjoyed them greatly!