Saturday, August 20, 2005

Iris Chang, Inspiration and Girl Crushes

I told you I had a lot to say! First let's start with Iris Chang. I wrote about her a while back on this blog. (http://shoegirlcorner.blogspot.com/2004_12_01_shoegirlcorner_archive.html) I thought about her again the other day and it made me look up the Salon.com article once more to read about her and how she always aspired for greatness.

If you want to read the eulogy go here. http://archive.salon.com/mwt/feature/2004/11/30/iris_chang/index.html You'll see what I mean.

I love this eulogy. So much so that I looked up the author Paula Kamen and I e-mailed her a note telling her how much I enjoyed it. I received such a nice note in response. She tells me that she's working on a book about Iris Chang and that my words had inspired her too! Isn't that great? I think this is so important! I think it's so beautiful when we as human beings inspire and encourage one another.

My girlfriend who lives in Spain tells me in an e-mail today that she reads my blog every time she logs on and she missed me the week I didn't post. THANK YOU!! That inspires me! Another girlfriend here in Houston reads me daily and comments. I love to hear that! My cousin writes and tells me that when she reads my words she feels like she's sitting in my kitchen talking to me. THANK YOU! I need to hear those words.

Okay, last but not least. The very interesting topic of Girl Crushes. I just learned this term this week. I was reading Alisa Valdes Rodriguez's blog and I see my beautiful city's skyline. She's writing a new book entitled Girl Crush and it's set in Houston! My Houston! (I love Houston by the way!) I was so excited that she chose Houston but I was also intrigued by this phenomenon called girl crushes. http://alisavaldesrodriguez.blogspot.com/

It's not what it sounds like. It's actually very common and many of us are familiar with this feeling. It's that feeling we get when we meet a really cool girl and we feel this attraction to her like we want to be her friend or we want to get to know her better. It's not a sexual attraction, it's a girl attraction. I thought about it and I have had a very long running girl crush on Sarah Jessica Parker. I just love her, I don't know why.

My friend commented on Alisa's blog and said she had read an article on girl crushes in the New York Times. She sent me the link. Very interesting article. Check it out soon before they take it down completely. http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/11/fashion/thursdaystyles/11CRUSH.html?incamp=article_popular.

One last last thing. For real now! I was at CVS Pharmacy buying printer paper after walking today and I saw something for the second time that I just love. I saw one of Amy Tan's books being sold in Spanish. It was The Bonesetter's Daughter but it's called La Hija del Curandero in Spanish. Very Cool! CVS is doing their part to encourage literacy among Hispanics.

No comments: