Thursday, October 13, 2005

Where Does Time Go?

When I was a little girl I remember asking my mom, while getting dressed for school, if time went by faster in the morning. It just seemed to me then, like it still does now, that time has a way of accelerating in the morning hours.

This morning I was greeted by Miranda around 5:30, I don't even know what time it was for sure. Then she came to me a few minutes later, in the Hello Kitty pajamas I bought her at Target last night, wanting to get into bed with me and Seth. (She fell asleep on the way home last night so she must have put the pajamas on when she woke up.) As soon as she got settled into the bed Seth popped up and laughed with her. That was it. I was up and it was around 5:50. By the time I got the cartoons turned on for her and went to make my coffee I was shocked to see it was 6:30!! Where did the time go?

This is another reason why I can't write in the morning. I've been so bad about that. And by bad I mean that I don't think it's ever going to happen. Ever since I started trying that approach a couple of months ago my book has been at a stand still. Every day I set the alarm for 5:50 and every day I wake up at 7:30 to slide into work at 9:15. Then I end up beating myself up about it. It's very frustrating.

The funny thing is that the very few times when I have gotten up really early it's just like today, the time flies! I don't feel like I have enough time to write. What I've decided to do is to take one evening a week, like Rey does basketball, to write. This morning would have been perfect if the children were asleep. Ha! If it weren't for the children I wouldn't be up at all.

New York is an inspiration to write. There is something so intoxicating about that city. I don't know what spell it weaves but it grabs people and pulls them in. Well not all people, but people like me and Rey. I told Rey that New York alone can be an inspiration to write my book so that I can have an excuse to go back.

It's 7:01 now and all I want to do is crawl back into bed and I can't. I'll go get my coffee instead.

No comments: