Thursday, March 09, 2006

Schools & Kids- Getting the Short End of the Stick as Usual!

I am so angry right now. I just read this Chronicle article in today's paper. http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/headline/metro/3711022.html It never ceases to amaze me how ignorant our politicians (because school board members are politicians too) are! Project Grad is the program that I participate in to mentor a high school senior at Reagan.

This young woman is amazing! She's come a long way since she came to this country from Mexico and she' s made a dedicated effort to learn English and move ahead. She's been involved with Project Grad all four years of high school and when she graduates this Spring she's slated to receive a scholarship. She is graduating #49 out of 309 Seniors. This from a girl who came to this country in 8th grade speaking only Spanish.

I have seen with my own eyes how this program works. The Chronicle even participates in this program by providing free subscriptions to the homes of all the students enrolled in the program.

I urge all of you here locally to place a call or write a letter or e-mail to the school board and let them know what your opinion is about this move. Check out the program at www.projectgrad.org and read for yourself what they do for kids and education.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

I hope that they find the funds to save that program. It sounds like it provides some awesome opportunities for students.