Saturday, March 24, 2007

What a Month and It's Not Even Over!

I have had an absolutely wild month and I haven't really mentioned it here. I committed to volunteering 50 hours this month to the ministry. That means 50 hours of talking to people about the bible. It's been a really good month. I even started a bible study with a woman. I go to her home once a week for a one-on-one study. All of this is done on my free time and voluntarily.

However, as Murphy's Law would have it, it's also been the most challenging month ever. I have had so much happen! I chose March for three reasons. The main one was that I would be off the week of Spring Break and that would help me get a lot of time done that week. The other reason was that it's the month leading up to the Memorial of Jesus' death which we are celebrating on April 2. (We follow the Jewish calendar.) We invite people to this special celebration. And the other reason was that the time changes in March which gives me extra day light in the evenings to get time done.

All of these were great reasons and it would all have worked out in theory if it weren't for all the unexpected challenges that arose. I had a couple of unexpected visitors, and while I enjoyed their visit, it still meant a change in my schedule to accommodate visitors. My cousin visited for 3.5 days and my husband's friend visited for 1 week and 2 days. There was only 2 days between their visits.

Next was my lovely SUV. The battery died on that thing at least 3 mornings in a row during my vacation week, making it close to impossible to make it anywhere on time. Yet I still managed to get out and to follow my time schedule.

My husband finally changed the battery out last weekend and then the new one died on me on the way to drop of my daughter in the morning and on my way to work this week. We finally realized there was something seriously wrong with the truck and took it to the shop to get worked on. That was Wednesday and we've been driving a rental car since then. Add that expense to the expense of getting the truck fixed. (Ayii)

Yesterday I talked to one of my friends from my congregation and I was telling her in a nutshell all of the above. I told her that I felt really good about today and that I would be getting back on schedule this weekend to meet my goal.

Last night the baby was feeling unusually warm. I tried taking his temperature but the baby ear thermometer has seen it's last days. I could tell he was running a fewer just by feeling him so I gave him some Motrin. He woke me up at 6 this morning still burning up so I decided to get aggressive and I gave him the Tylenol/Motrin mix. We slept a few more hours and needless to say I didn't get out in service as planned. I was hoping his fever would go down and maybe we could get out this afternoon but of course it didn't happen that way. He's still really warm and at 11 a.m. I had to give him the follow up Tylenol dosage. He seems to have gotten even warmer since then.

Now I'm waiting for 1 p.m. to give him the Motrin and hopefully it will get under control by then. I know he doesn't feel well because he's being clingy and asking me to pick him up. He tells me he's "tired." My poor baby! He comes here while I'm writing and climbs on to my lap then he squirms out of my arms and he goes back to Rey.

Rey says not to worry and that he’ll help me complete my time this week.

It’s been such a crazy two weeks and during this time I found this contest online. http://www.colgate.com/app/LSS247/US/EN/NationalDayDiaryProject.cwsp Lady Stick deodorant is asking women to write a diary entry about a day in their life. I wanted to enter one of my days this past week, the one when my car broke down, but in order to be considered for publication in this book your entry has to be for March 27. Isn’t that hilarious? Of course you know that nothing funny or significant will happen to me on March 27.

But I’m happy to say that I’m only 15 hours from making my goal of 50 hours. I still have faith that I’ll get those done in the next 8 days, counting today.

No comments: