Saturday, March 03, 2007

Hecho en Tejas


Isn't it amazing that it's already March? My goodness! My daughter turns 6 next Saturday and my father turns 83 on the 30th. The baby turns 3 next month.... Amazing!

It was a busy week between work, kids, homework, etc.. I didn't get a chance to write. One of the things I did this week was attend the book launch of Hecho en Tejas. I am so proud of this book for so many reasons. One reason is that it's the first of it's kind. There have been other anthologies of Hispanic/Latino literature before but none like this one. This is a wonderful collection of some of the best work by Mexican American artists. And I say "work" and "artists" because it includes songs by songwriters like Flaco Jimenez, Freddy Fender, and Selena.

I had the honor of attending this Mexican American Mini-Book Fair Thursday night and I heard some great writers read from their work. I had some ties to some of them. I've met Tammy Melody Gomez via the blog world. She's a poet from Ft. Worth. She's in the book and she was there Thursday night. Then there was the amazing writer Cecilia Bali from Brownsville and Houston. She read a beautiful piece that's in the book, "All About My Mother." And finally Diana Lopez. Diana read at Nuestra Palabra the very first time that I read in public at Nuestra Palabra during Women's History Month. They were all wonderful that night among the other great writers that were there, including the Editor of the book, Dagoberto Gilb.

Also included in the book is my cousin Oscar Casares. He has an essay in there that was first published in Texas Monthly magazine.

It's the weekend and the time to clean and get organized. I have a lot of organizing to do. I want to clear my bedroom of clutter. It'll be good for the mind.

6 comments:

~^^~L*C~^^~ said...

Hi Loida: So how was it hearing Diana Lopez? I enjoyed Sofia's Saints so much! I heard about "Hecho en Tejas." I think it's awesome that this book will make a breakthrough for us Tejanas, right?

I admire you Loida, and how you blog and keep us informed of life, despite your busy schedule. I wish I could be more like that!

ShoeGirl Corner said...

Elsie, you are so sweet! I try to stay informed as busy as I am with the kids, work, and my meetings for my religion.

I think the book is awesome. Diana Lopez was extraordinary! She was so funny! I don't think she read from Sophia's Saints but what she read was great.

~^^~L*C~^^~ said...

Does Diana Lopez have a new book out? I love to keep up with these great authors.

Is there going to be a book fair in May??

Coco said...

I'll keep the title Hecho en Tejas in mind during my next visit to the book store.

March...
At school it gets pretty "crazy" at this time- test prepping!! writing tests! : (

Wow, 3 great reasons to celebrate LIFE!! (your children and dad : )

Have a wonderful week!

Un fuerte y caluroso abrazo, amiga.

Bendiciones,
Coco

ShoeGirl Corner said...

I don't know if she does or not but she was reading something else.

The Edward James Olmos Latino Book and Family Festival will be in October at the George R. Brown Convention Center. That was the original date for '05 but then Katrina happened and they need to use the Convention Center for the Katrina victims so it was moved to May '06 but only for that year.

~^^~L*C~^^~ said...

thanx for the info Loida!