Sunday, June 22, 2008

You've Got Mail

I just googled my own blog and I saw that I wrote about You've Got Mail back in 2005, almost three years ago. I love watching this movie because: 1) It reminds me of how much I love New York and 2) It reminds me why I want to write.

New York is also a character in this movie. It is portrayed in this movie a lot like it is in Sex in the City, before the Sex in the City New York craze. In fact, the show Sex in the City debuted in June of 1998 and You've Got Mail was released in December of 1998. That was way before all the New York craze that the Sex show created. Now if you go to New York they even have Sex and the City tours.

I doubt they have You've Got Mail tours, but if you go on the Warner Bros. website you can walk through the Upper West Side and see the different spots that are featured in the movie. I walked around the area a couple of years ago when I first went to NYC.

Which reminds me, I'm going again in October for work and then hopefully for a long weekend. I can't wait! I love NY! I am one of those people that honestly believes that she could live there. I don't think it's completely ridiculous. I had a girlfriend from the Houston suburb area who went to visit when she was around 21 and she moved there. She lived there over 10 years. She ended up marrying a guy from there and then ironically they moved back here.

So yes I believe I could live there happily. At least for a while. New York, sigh!

The movie also reminds me of why I want to be a writer. I admire Nora and Delia Ephron so much for their writing and how their work makes people feel. Between the two of them, together and separately, they've written many of my favorites, like You've Got Mail, The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, Sleepless in Seattle, and When Harry Met Sally. New York and writing. They just go hand in hand!

1 comment:

Moose said...

You've Got Mail is one of my favorite movies. I actually saw it again, for the 200th time, this past Sunday.