Sunday, October 28, 2007

The Girls Next Door

I read this article in the New York Times online a couple of years ago and I've never been able to forget it. I think of it often and I've tried searching for it but it wasn't available. I just found it again today. The article is called "The Girls Next Door."

I'm warning you, it's a long article and it can be very disturbing. If you think the article is too long move to Page 7 and read about one girl's experience. Read how young children are when they are placed as sex slaves. I couldn't get it out of my head for a long time. But at the same time I want to be aware of this. I want to be realistic about what is going on in this world.

Ricky Martin was on Oprah a while back talking about this subject. He took some time off as a performer for a while to work on his foundation. He talked very openly about this subject on the show and even shocked some people in the audience with his bluntness. But it has to be said. People need to be aware that this is going on in our world.

I'm glad I found this article so that I could share it. Read it. It will make you cry but it will also make you really think. I know it made me very grateful for my life, for my beliefs, and for the safety of my children.

No comments: