Monday, October 22, 2007

Elizabeth: The Golden Age

I loved the first Elizabeth movie with Cate Blanchett nine years ago, so I was really looking forward to this second movie. I've always been intrigued by the stories about Elizabeth I. I also loved the stories about King Henry VIII and his wives.

Saturday I took the kids to get their hair cut and on the way my daughter asked me if I would tell her the story about Elizabeth I again. I told her the story from the beginning and about Henry VIII. I told her how Queen Elizabeth never married so she could be the queen without a king to tell her what to do. One of my favorite lines-"I will have one mistress here... and no master."

On Sunday when she heard that her father and I might go see the second movie she asked if she could please come with us. At first I didn't want to take her but finally I gave in. I figured I'd close her eyes to anything I thought wasn't inappropriate for her age.

She was so excited! She prepared by taking her colored pipe cleaners and making herself a tiara with one of the golden colored pieces. Then she took a hot pink one and made it into the shape of a person. She added a purple piece around the torso and then a gold crown. That was her Queen Elizabeth I. So off we went to watch the movie with her tiara on and Queen Elizabeth in her hand. I looked at her as we walked into the theater. "I didn't know we were supposed to come in costume," I said to my husband.

I am always amazed at how she marches to the beat of her own drummer. I love that about her and I hope that never changes.

So if you thought this was going to be a review of the movie, sorry to disappoint. The only things I will say are these. Gorgeous gorgeous costumes. I'm sure they will win an Oscar for the costumes alone. Cate Blanchett is still one of my favorite actresses. Some of the scenery was beautiful too. But I still love the first movie best.

No comments: