Monday, October 09, 2006

Walk the Line

I have become obsessed with the movie Walk the Line. I have HBO on Demand so I keep watching it and now I'm fastforwarding to my favorite parts. That movie has so many great lines! I think the main reason I'm so obsessed with it is because unlike all of America, I never knew the Johnny and June Cash story. I find it so romantic, especially since it's a true story. Plus I think Joaquin Phoenix and Reese Witherspoon do such an incredible job.

It reminds me of what my mom used to say about a movie when it was based on a true story. For example, when we saw Out of Africa we fell in love with the movie, but when she found out that it was based on Isak Dennison's true stories she liked it even more.

I like watching Walk the Line over and over again because I catch different points I didn't catch the first time I saw it at the movies. There was so much passion in Johnny and June's relationship and they really really loved each other. I guess that explains why they only died a few months from each other.

I love it when Johnny tells her that it's the last time he's going to ask her to marry him and June answers, "Good, I hate reruns!"

Another favorite of mine is when June tells him, "You can't walk no line!"

After that when you listen to the lyrics of the song,"Walk the Line," you realize his intense love for her.

Same thing when you listen to the words to "Ring of Fire," that June wrote. When you look at when she wrote the song in relation to when they finally got together it makes you realize how much she loved him, even before she married him, but she couldn't have him because he was either married to his wife or drugs or both.

Yet through it all and when he's finally clean from drugs, she stands by him through it all. Even with all the demons of his past that haunt him she believes in him and sees the good in him. It's such an incredibly romantic story.

Lyrics from "Walk the Line" by Johnny Cash

As sure as night is dark and day is light
I keep you on my mind both day and night
And happiness I've known proves that it's right
Because you're mine, I walk the line


"Ring of Fire" by June Carter-Cash

Love is a burning thing
and it makes a firery ring
bound by wild desire
I fell in to a ring of fire...

I fell in to a burning ring of fire
I went down,down,down
and the flames went higher.
And it burns,burns,burns
the ring of fire
the ring of fire.

The taste of love is sweet
when hearts like our's meet
I fell for you like a child
oh, but the fire went wild..

3 comments:

Karla said...

Oh I love this movie also. I did not know the Johnny Cash-June Carter Cash story either until I saw this movie. I agree with you knowing that it is a true story makes me love it even more.

Anonymous said...

I agree - great movie. Joaquin was dead on as Johnny Cash. He should have won the Oscar! I was never a Johnny Cash music fan but the soundtrack is fantastic! Share more movie reviews - I always like to hear what other people think of a movie.

Adam Luis said...

I really liked this movie as well (I'm a sucker for musicals and/or music-oriented movies).

I personally didn't feel Joaquin defined his character well enough; I just didn't have a "Johnny" moment while watching it. Of the five nominees last year, he was certianly the least in my book (and "saadia" agrees too, she just doesn't remember).

However, I LOVED Reese Witherspoon's June Carter. Her Oscar win marked the first time I agreed with the Academy's choice for Best Actress this decade. She just seemed to fit so naturally in the role that I forgot that she was supposed to be acting. Plus, she seemed like she was having fun, which is always refeshing in an age when "serious actors" are supposed to be serious onscreen.