Saturday, December 10, 2005

Saturday Morning

I decided to make French toast for the first time in about 20 years. I'm not exaggerating! I haven't made French toast since I was a teenager. I heard someone say something about French toast this week and it made me crave it. I thought about it off and on during the week but I never have the luxury of making it or even going somewhere that makes it during the week. I think it came out OK but it's a little too eggy. I need to go lighter on the egg next time.

So now I'm sitting here enjoying my French toast with Miranda, drinking coffee and listening to my music. I feel inspired this morning but I have no time for inspiration. I'm going to the nail shop to get my feet done and maybe a little manicure too to make me feel good.

Something I learned a long time ago was that even if I'm not my ideal weight I should still take care of appearance. I feel like some women get so depressed by their weight that they let it all go. I saw some women like this on Oprah a couple of months ago. I noticed a pattern too. It seems to me that the women that get so depressed that they let themselves all go are the women who were really skinny at one point. Maybe it's because I was never really skinny that it makes it easier for me to deal with it and get on with the business of my life.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I'm happy being less than my ideal weight, but if I'm not that ideal size I'm not going to lay down and cry and stop doing my make-up and buying great shoes!

I know make-up is a controversial subject for some people. I've heard different opinions about it, like make-up is superficial and that women that wear it are really insecure and they feel like they need it and aren't proud of their natural beauty. WHATEVER! That is not my opinion and this blog is strictly my opinion so if you don't agree stop reading now.

I LOVE MAKE UP! Maybe it comes from having an Avon lady as a mother my whole life, or should I say her whole life. She started selling makeup when I was 1 month old and she sold it until her death, 2 months before her 30 year anniversary. Or maybe it comes from having 4 older sisters who also appreciate make-up. Let's just say make-up was not taboo in our home, instead it was embraced and my father appreciated make-up too. We also had the kind of father who noticed when women didn't shave their underarms or legs.

I've always worn make-up, gotten facials, had my nails done, etc.. One day I was having lunch with a girlfriend and I mentioned my weight struggle to her. She looked at me really surprised and said, “I never thought your weight bothered you!”

I was like, “What?” and she told me that she seriously never thought that my weight bothered me. I think she also said that I carried it well and with confidence. I thought that was a really interesting perception of me. I know why she said that though. She said it because I still care about the rest of my appearance.

This is by no means a brag session. The point I’m trying to make is that “una mujer debe de tener una poca de dignidad,” and if you aren’t skinny don’t lay down and cry! You’ll never lose weight that way! Because what will happen then is that you will start to feel really funky and worse about yourself and you’ll eat more and won’t exercise and it’s a vicious cycle. I know!

Oprah talks about reinventing yourself and I believe that it starts with taking care of your appearance, wearing make-up, and taking care of you. When you start feeling better about yourself you’ll want to look better too. You’ll start the exercise and you’ll eat better. And you’ll do it for the right reasons too. I don’t want to lose weight for looks. I consider that an added bonus because I know I’ll look better when I do lose weight. I want to lose weight for health purposes, to live longer for my kids and shouldn’t that be the reason why we do things?

So now I’m off to get a manicure and pedicure. Rey and I are having a date night tonight. We have gotten away from doing that and it’s something we really need. We haven’t been alone since the NY trip in October. We really need to take at least one date a month and have one trip a year together, just the 2 of us. Tonight it’s dinner and a movie. We’re going to go see “Walk the Line.”

2 comments:

Priscilla said...

I love French toast too...its my husbands favorite thing for breakfast. You know chica, I agree about taking care of yourself no matter what size one is. I grew up in a family where appearance is important, and my Abuelas y Mami always wore make-up. My amigas call me the make-up queen. I feel it enhances your features, not covers them up...when applied correctly of course. You are losing weight for the right reasons...and it seems people forget how hard it really is to get down to what is medically the right weight. I feel like with each birthday, I get an extra pound added to my weight...sad!

ShoeGirl Corner said...

Exactly! Make-up is meant to enhance and when you wear it it makes you feel a lot better about yourself. When you don't wear it you feel yucky.